Monday, October 27, 2008

Question Marks Galore

On the eve of the kickoff to the NBA season, I'm starting to worry a bit about my team. For various reasons, many of my middle-round picks are not looking to hot these days:

Mike Dunleavy - Word has it his knee is still bothering him, enough that he'll miss at least the first game. Considering that I drafted Dunleavy in the 4th round, this is not good news to say the least. However, I did manage to grab Marquis Daniels off of waivers, who should fill the void until Dunleavy returns. There will undoubtedly be a dropoff in production with Daniels but he'll be starting in Dunleavy's place and will hopefully be able to produce some decent STL's and AST's.

Jamario Moon - It's unclear how many minutes Moon is going to get, given his weak preseason play. Given the efficiency make up of my team, Moon plays a pivotal role in securing me some blocks and steals. I'm going to keep him on the bench in cases where my lineup is full and wait to see if he can get back on Sam Mitchell's good graces again.

Peja Stojakovic - I've already mentioned how this was a mistake pick for me. However, given the question marks on my team, I'm tempted to start him if only because he should help my PTS's and maybe STL's. The ideal scenario would be for him to go off with five or six 3-PT's in a game so that I can trade him and get someone more suitable for my team in return (e.g. AK-47, Deng, Salmons).

Nick Collison - He's a minor question mark due to the surprisingly solid play of Johan Petro in the preseason.  But with Wilcox on the dinged up, I think Collison should get his minutes even if he's not at center. 

Here's my lineup for the week as well as my opponent's.

PG - Calderon (me) / Billups (him)
SG - Daniels (me) / Kobe (him)
G - Andre Miller (me) / Turkoglu (him)
SF - Amir Johnson (me) / Beasley (him)
PF - Garnett (me) / Duncan (him)
F - Al Jefferson (me) / Okafor (him)
C - David Lee (me) / Nene (him)
C - Collison (me) / Perkins (him)
Util - Brewer (me) / Bibby (him)
Util - Carter (me) / Derrick Rose (him)
Bench - Westbrook (me) / Posey (him)
Bench - Sean Williams (me) / Pietrus (him)
Bench - Peja (me) / Fisher (him)
Bench - Dunleavy (me) / Jeff Green (him)
Bench - Moon (me) / Grant Hill (him)

My opponent has a pretty solid team, with obvious strengths over my team in PTS and 3's and probably BLKS's too. I think I've got him beat in FG and TO's and I probably have an advantage in STL's. That leaves REB, FT and AST as the toss up cats. I think I can improve my REB's by rotating Moon and Williams in while Westbrook should probably be able to help me with AST's. Regardless, I would consider myself an underdog this week so I'm definitely going to have to get a little lucky.

No comments: