Friday, October 31, 2008

Feeling Nervous + Digging Deep WW-Style

Now that the season is under way, the waiver wire in my league has been blazing.  With 12 teams and five bench slots, it's pretty slim pickings out on the WW.  This is unfortunate because my team is struggling big time right now.  Some reasons for concern:
 
Peja - I decided to play him to try to improve in 3's this week.  Things were going great last night until he sprained his ankle.  It's unclear how long he'll be out but it sounds like it could be awhile.  This mean I will have to carry both him and Dunleavy on my bench as they recover -- probably not a recipe for success in H2H.
 
Moon - He only got 24 minutes of PT in his first game, as Mitchell played Kapono at the end of the game.  During that 24 minutes, he put up a very pedestrian line, which makes me worry that last year was a huge fluke.  I plan on running him out there a couple more times but I'm preparing myself to cut bait if necessary.
 
Sean Williams - He got zero minutes in his first game so I dropped him for Darrell Arthur.  I know Arthur is a rookie but I think he's got enough athleticism and energy that he can put up decent numbers in rebounds, blocks and steals.  Plus Memphis is going to be terrible this year so there's no reason not to play the rookies.
 
Going back to the waiver wire -- I didn't fully realize how thin it was until I tried to pick up certain players.
 
"Chalmers looks like he had a good game.  (Look up Chalmers)  Damn, already drafted."
 
"Prince might have some good value.  (Look up Prince)  Wow, someone actually drafted Tayshaun?"
 
And so on and so forth. 
 
Other guys who I had my eye on (Mason, Jason Thompson) were quickly snatched up after their strong performances.  At this point, there's not a whole lot of value left on the WW.  However, there are a couple guys I'm monitoring if I do decide to make some moves:
 
Francisco Garcia - He's hurt right now but he should be back some time in mid to late November.  Once he returns, I think he can help out in terms of steals and 3's.
 
Paul Millsap - I know he doesn't get a ton of minutes in Utah but he's ultra productive when he plays, to the tune of averaging almost a block and a steal last season while pulling down 5.5 rebounds.  He's a good fit for my team and his value would only shoot up if someone on Utah's frontline gets hurt.
 
Jordan Farmar - You'd think at some point, he'll take over for Fisher, though I think Phil Jackson probably prefers him leading the second unit.  Regardless of whether he starts or not, Farmar should be good for AST, 3's and maybe some steals.

It's not looking good for Week 1, as I'm currently down 6-3.  At this point, I'm hoping to eek out cheap wins in a couple cats to take it down 5-4.  Assists (34 to 41) and 3's (9 to 10) are the most logical choices, followed by steals (11 to 19).  With Calderon, Miller and Carter playing tonight, I should probably be able to take AST down.  3's are going to be tricky without Peja so I'm hoping Calderon and Carter can surprise me.  STL's is such a tossup cat but here's hoping Moon and Arthur go nuts with the thievery tonight.

No comments: